Sunday, December 7, 2008

Norway in a Nutshell

Today Lee and I took the Norway in a Nutshell train tour around part of Norway.

This was my first train ride...at least that I can remember. (I went on a train across the US when I was 3 but don't really remember it).

The tour takes you by train from Bergen to a town call Myrdal where you pick up a very famous train called the Flåm Railway. The interior of the train is like an old pullman car...It was all decorated for Christmas. It takes you through the mountain and does a 180 degree turn inside the mountain as it takes you from Myrdal down to the coast at Flåm to one of the tributaries of the longest fjord in Norway.

The Flåm Railway (Flåmsbana) train stops at a mid point where you can get off at the base of a very beautiful waterfall.
All along the way there are spectacular views of mountain and canyon scenery.

The only disappointment of the trip was by the time we got to Flåm to get on the fjord ferry boat it was nearly dusk....3pm. I did get one or two pictures before dark and then my camera decided to die on me on top of it.
When the boat docked at the town of Gundangen where we were to pick up the buss we were late causing us to be late getting back to the town of Voss. This meant that we would probably miss the train from Voss back to Bergen.....fortunately the bus driver was a very fast driver and got us there 1 min before the train was to depart. We had to run from the bus stop to the train and we barely made it.
The train was filled with teenagers returning from a day of skiing. They were very noisy so the trip back to Bergen was a lively one...all in all we have a VERY nice day!
One small detail I forgot...when we got of the train it was raining and we had to walk back to the hotel in the rain....which is not a short distance at all!

1 comment:

DTanner said...

Makes me cold looking at these pictures. Glad you have Lee to go site seeing with.