Monday, December 29, 2008

HOME SWEET HOME!!!

This past week was a very busy one. I spent a few days with my cousin Barry in Wales after 3 weeks in Europe for business. Then on Dec 23rd I was scheduled to head home. The weather reports for the US were not very encouraging with airport closures and flight delays. I left Barry's home early on Tues morning. I drove to Manchester Airport where I discovered my flight was delayed by 2 hours due to a medical emergency that had diverted the flight coming from the US to Boston to off load the ill person. We were scheduled to leave Manchester at 1035 am with a connection in New York for home at 4 pm. The delay to my flight would surely cause me to miss the 4 pm connection due to having to go through immigration, baggage claim then customs before rechecking bags and passing through security. The only upside to the morning was that I was upgraded to Business elite class which virtually never happens on overseas flights.
Needless to say I missed the connecting flight and was rescheduled on the 730 pm flight to Salt Lake. I wasn't able to board the plane until every passenger with a confirmed seat had boarded...it was nerve-racking to wait to see if I was going home or spending the night in New York.
Finally I asked the gate agent if I was going to get a seat...I mentioned to him I was the first name on the standby list....he said well I guess you can get on then...the only seat I have is an exit row and aisle seat....I was ecstatic....I didn't want to get stuck in an center seat for 5 hrs.
Anyway, I was able to get home before Christmas which was a blessing.
Rich and Cadee picked me up at the airport and we arrived back at home just after 12AM which put me home on Christmas eve!
It was very snowy and cold when we arrived home....
Christmas Eve morning after a good lay in I headed to visit my parents since I hadn't seen them for nearly a month. Dad greeted me at the door!

No comments: