Sunday, December 14, 2008

Aberystwyth Wales

Yesterday I left Bergen Norway and flew to Manchester, England. When I arrived in England 5 hrs later than expected I still had to drive to Aberystwyth which is on the coast of Wales and more south. It's about 3 hrs drive. I left the airport in my hire car about 11 pm, it was pouring rain. I don't know why but I seem to get to do a lot of driving in the pouring rain late at night.
As I was driving I was trying to follow the directions I had acquired on Google maps. The first part of the trip was uneventful as it was on the dual carriageway (freeway to you Americans). I soon found myself on winding country roads and very little signage. I got lost a time or two and then I'd stop and regroup. As I was driving through one of the many small villages along the route I saw a drunken Santa in a black plastic suit walking down the street...a very interesting site at 1 in the morning. I finally arrived in Aberystwyth around 3 am.
My room wasn't much bigger than the 'cell' in Norway!
This morning I had a lay in(slept in) as you can imagine. This picture was the view from my bedroom window.

When I was finally ready to get out of bed I headed downstairs for a proper English breakfast....I ended up having fried eggs, toast and yogurt.
After breakfast I ventured out to find a shop to get laundry detergent and change so I could have clean clothes for the week. I didn't have my laundry done in Norway because it would have cost me close to $200. Down the street at the Laundrette (Laundromat) I did my laundry for about $10. This is a view from the laundry window.

After I got my laundry done I was finally able to get a shower and a change of clothes. Then I went out for Fish & Chips. Finally normal food! Back to the hotel for a rest~

2 comments:

peter said...

Aberystwyth?! Can I buy a vowel with that?

DTanner said...

Real food? I don't know if I would call it that. Did you have mushy peas too? Grandma will be disappointed that you did not have a bacon butty for her. Looks like a beautiful place. Wish I were there with you. Love ya!