Saturday, December 13, 2008

Another interesting travel day

Today I am scheduled to fly to Manchester the drive to Aberystwyth, Wales. I arrived at the airport in plenty of time this morning to take care of my VAT refund then check in and find my gate. I couldn't find the VAT refund counter so I went to the Visitor Informasion in the airport. They told me I needed to wait til I got through security so I went to check in for my flight. That was pretty uneventful. I went through security which also went unusually smoothly. I found the VAT refund counter and got my VAT refund in US Dollars. Then I went to the gate to wait...We boarded on time which was also very good. We sat on the plane for a few minutes and I dozed off...when I awakened we were still sitting on the tarmack. I didn't think anything of it until I realized we had been sitting on the tarmack for nearly an hour....we were supposed to depart at 12:10 and it was now 12:55. A few minutes later the captain came on the PA system to announce that one of the engines was having sand in it and the engineers were going to have to take the plane back to the hangar and have it repaired before we could depart. This wouldn't be a big deal I guess except for the fact that our 12:10 departure now became a 4:00 pm departure. I am going through Amersterdam to Manchester and my flight is scheduled to depart Amsterdam at 4pm. We were told we would need to deplane then they would announce to the whole flight what the procedure would be. We were given vouchers for our troubles and told we would not be booked on other flights but would wait for the plane to be repaired and once we were in the air our connecting flights would then be rebooked. Those having connections that would be missed would be put in hotels in Amsterdam for the night. When I finally got to the counter (it was a very long line) The agent informed me there was a connecting flight to Manchester at 9 pm so I would be fine....I seriously doubt I will be fine. I've only traveled KLM a few times but I can tell you that nothing has gone right on this airline yet~!!

1 comment:

DTanner said...

Poor mother. I am glad you made it ok.